West End Local Freight Preparing to Leave Mt. Horeb, WI
CNW 4329 (GP7R)has completed the Lancaster Subdivn local work at Mt. Horeb, WI and has its train back together and ready to proceed toward Madison. The 4329 was rebuilt from GP7 1527 by the former CGW shops in Oelwein, IA just 1 1/2 years prior to the photo, accounting for the excellent condition of its paint.
It seemed that the C & NW acquired a new railroad when it needed locomotive shop capacity. It moved into the M&StL's Marshalltown, IA shops after taking over the M&StL in 1960 and did the same with the Oelwein shops of the Chicago Great Western when it took over the CGW in 1968, using Oelwein to rebuild many early Geeps, both its own and those acquired from other railroads for use on the C & NW.
Photographed by Warren Beckwith, June 27, 1975.
Added to the photo archive by Warren Beckwith, May 29, 2021.
Railroad: Chicago & North Western.
|Warren Beckwith's awards:|
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.