Inbound at Newton Highlands
Inbound Ansaldo Breda Type 8 trolley departs for Boston with the majestic Newton Highlands station in the background. MBTA's Riverside line was built in the mid-19th century as the Boston and Albany RR's Highland Branch and featured several substantial depots like the Newton Highlands station (designed collaboratively between architect HH Richardson and landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead in the 1880s). MBTA's predecessor, the MTA, acquired the line in 1958 and was converted for PCC operation as the Riverside line, opening on July 4, 1959.
Photographed by John Barlow, January 4, 2009.
Added to the photo archive by John Barlow, May 18, 2020.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.