Southfield Branch RR and Southfield Ironworks, Southfields, NY
The Southfields Ironworks were in operation from 1804 until 1887 and were located along the old Orange Turnpike (present day Route 19) approximately one mile west of the Erie Railroad at Southfields, NY. The Southfield Branch RR was built in 1868 to connect the ironworks with the Erie just north of where the famous Red Apple Rest was later constructed. The line was only one mile in length and was abandoned at the same time as the ironworks in 1887. This view shows the Southfield Branch RR right-of-way (extending towards the gate) where it terminated at the Southfield Furnace (which can be seen in the distance). The furnace is being restored, as evidenced by the protective tarp over the top of the structure.
Photographed by Rich Kugel, February 9, 2008.
Added to the photo archive by Rich Kugel, April 15, 2008.
Railroad: Erie RR.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.