Sterling Mountain RR (Narrow Gauge Extension), Lakeville, NY
The Sterling Mountain RR was constructed in the late 1800's and connected several iron mines located in the facinity of Lakeville, NY with the Erie RR at Sterlington, NY (located just south of Sloatsburg). The railroad was standard gauged as far as Lakeville; however, a short narrow gauge section was built to extend the line's reach (via switchbacks!) to the Cook Mine and Scott Mine. This view shows a portion of the narrow gauge right-of-way. The heavy grading (with large boulders providing a solid foundation for the roadbed) was required to support the heavy iron ore shipments. Although the last train ran in 1920, the tracks remained largely in place until 1963!
Photographed by Rich Kugel, February 9, 2008.
Added to the photo archive by Rich Kugel, April 15, 2008.
Railroad: Erie RR.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.