O&W Abutment at Cadosia, NY
This stone abutment supported the west end of the trestle at Cadosia, NY that marked the beginning of the O&W's Scranton Division, which was constructed between 1889 and 1890 to tap into the rich Pennsylvania coalfields. The Scranton Division was double-tracked in the early 1900's to help the O&W cope with the unrelenting flood of black diamonds. This abutment dates from the original construction, as evidenced by the fact that it only supported a single track.
Photographed by Rich Kugel, March 15, 2008.
Added to the photo archive by Rich Kugel, March 21, 2008.
Railroad: New York Ontario and Western.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.