before the Lowell trolleys
When the National Park Service began offering train rides at the Lowell National Historical Park in 1980, it initially used this unusual wooden gas-powered railcar borrowed from the Strasburg Railroad. Built for Pennsylvania's Lancaster, Oxford & Southern RR in 1915, it later worked for the Grasse River RR in upstate New York before winding up at Strasburg, where it runs today. (see https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/cars/l-o-s-self-propelled-motor-car/ ) The replica streetcars took over in Lowell for the 1984 season.
Photographed by Tom Nelligan, July, 1980.
Added to the photo archive by Tom Nelligan, December 2, 2017.
Railroad: Lowell National Historic Park.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.