Here is a scan of a public domain stereoview showing the great fill in Crawford Notch.This curved wooden trestle, located between the "Gateway" and the "Girders" would remain in service until 1884, when it was finally filled in. It was not removed, just filled in around, the P&O was in recievership and could not afford to stop running trains. A dump track was constructed to the right of the main line, and stayed in place into the late 1880's The total cost of the project was $ 5000.00 The photographer who took this is standing on top of the gateway.
Photographed by B.W.Kilburn, 1875.
Added to the photo archive by Scotty Mallett, November 1, 2006.
Railroad: Portland Ogdensburg.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.